LaHave was founded by a group of like minded friends, with a shared passion for berries. These pioneers came together through a shared vision of finding the tastiest and healthiest berry to be grown naturally in Nova Scotia and in other exciting corners of the globe.
In 2010, the quest to find a new and exciting crop was complete with the discovery of the fabulous tasting Haskap berry from Japan. Since this discovery we have grown considerably on the back of the 'little present at the end of the branch'. Today we have over 40 acres of Haskap orchards, with another 20 acres planned for 2013.
In 2013, we have created two new business divisions within LaHave Forests, Inc. group:
1) LaHave Natural Farms - Plants sales and Haskap orchard management.
2) haskapa - LaHave's value added brand name for its family of Haskap products.
We intend to bring the first and tastiest Haskap juice, dried Haskap berries and Haskap jam to the North American and British markets this year under the haskapa brand.
Meet Our Operators
The team is working year round to bring the finest natural Haskap flavours to you and Nova Scotia and sustainable soil solutions to our customer's orchards.
- Simon Fineman, President: Simon is group chief executive of Timbmet Group, one of the U.K.’s leading timber companies, and is the founder of LaHave Forests and the pioneer of its projects in Ghana and Nova Scotia. He is a strong advocate of the timber industry taking its environment responsibilities seriously.
- Logie Cassells, Managing Director: Logie served as an investment manager with U.K. based Caple Cure Myers for 15 years, running the group’s flagship Hallmark Growth and Income Fund, and winning the U.K.’s diversified fund manager of the year award in 2000. Logie currently runs a successful garden design and build business in Chester and lecturers on landscaping and agriculture in Nova Scotia.
- Liam Tayler, Commercial Director: Liam is an entrepreneur with 15 years business management experience in Spain, the UK and Africa. An MBA graduate with specialist experience in commercializing new products and services.
- Sez Seraphin, Farm Manager: Sez has worked in a number of fields which have included 4 years in farming and market gardening. During this time he has also excelled in the trades, which include UK qualifications in electrical installations and twenty years experience in carpentry and plumbing. He has now joined the Lahave Forest's as Farm Manager, which is an exciting new opportunity to further his skills and use them to help the company excel in the near future.
- Craig Stock, Forest Manager: Craig has studied Arboriculture and Forestry and graduated with Triple Distinction and carried his Schooling to other adventures such as working for Keilder Forest which is the Largest man made forest in Europe. He is looking forward to the ongoing success of this new and exciting venture.
- Andy Breen, Apiarist: Andy has over ten years experience of rural farm management in Nova Scotia, and he has worked with LaHave & Queens Federation of Agriculture and the Provincial Department of Agriculture. Andy has extensive experience in working with a wide variety of environmental and restoration projects.
- John Dobson, Finance Director: John is a chartered certified accountant and the finance director of Timbmet Group. He was previously the financial controller for a leading high street retailer.
Simon Morris, Sales & Marketing Director: Simon is chief marketing officer for LoveFilm, Europe’s leading online DVD rental subscription.
Alex Holroyd Smith: Alex has extensive experience in project, operations management and business development gained through seven years as a British Army officer and working in finance and consulting in North America, Middle East and Africa. He was recently responsible for setting up LaHave Forests’ pilot project in Ghana.