Now taking Spring and Fall 2012 Haskap Plant Orders.
Our young plants are supplied by Haskap Central and can supply three Haskap varieties: Indigo Gem (9-15), Tundra and Berry Smart Blue.
How large are the young/plug plants? The picture at the bottom of the Blog shows the size of our plants in their first year of establishment planting. These plants were rooted cuttings in the Fall of 2010, planted in Nova Scotia July 2011 and the photo was taken in October 2011.
We recomend gardeners or commercial growers to plant the three varieties in equal numbers. For example if a grower was ordering 9 plants, we would recommnend 3 Indigo Gem (9-15), 3 Tundra and 3 Berry Smart Blue to ensure maximum pollination and berry yield.
Please download our Haskap Berry Order Form here. (It will auto-calculate applicable discounts, royalty, shipping and tax costs)
Haskap Berry Plant Price List (Ex HST and delivery charges)
Plug prices includes $0.50 per plant royalty to University of Saskatchewan. Please contact us regarding any further questions by email or by phone: 902-273-7210.
Haskap is protected under plant breeders rights and is grown under license from the University of Saskatchewan and Haskap Central Sales Ltd., therefore the purchaser may not propagate or reproduce the Haskap cultivars without expressed written permission from the University of Saskatchewan and Haskap Central Sales Ltd.
is set to become the ultimate berry for processing and harvesting. The Mother plant had more than double the fruit of "Tundra" & "Borealis". The berries are an excellent flavor and have firm skin suitable for processing. We are a firm believer of this plant's form and productivity, so much so, that it is the dominant cultivar in our orchards!
- We consider this the ultimate for processing and harvesting
- Mother plant had more than double the fruit of Tundra & Borealis
- Firm skin suitable for processing
- Excellent flavor
is the "Breeders Pick" for commercial harvesting. It has excellent flavor, shape and size.
- Breeder's "Pick" for commercial harvesting
- Excellent flavor, shape and size
"Berry Smart Blue":
is a vigorous cultivar of pure Russian decent that may require additional pruning. We recommend Berry Smart Blue as being the best pollenizer for haskap at this time. Berries are half the size of the U of S cultivars with good processing characteristics. The U of S continues to work towards selecting a pollenizer from their breeding program. Recommended ratios are 1:3. Berry Smart Blue is our "pick" as the best ornamental blue honeysuckle cultivar.
- Haskap Central Sales recommends Berry Smart Blue TM as a pollenizer for haskap at this time, click on the Products tab to order yours today
- Haskap cultivars released by the University of Saskatchewan need an unrelated cultivar with similar flowering times for proper fruit set
Haskap Berry Key Facts:
* "First Fruit" of the Season
* Extremely Cold Hardy to -48 degrees Celsius
* Blossoms resistant to -8 degrees Celsius
* No Suckering - This is a NON-invasive specie
* Acceptable to Japanese market due to its superior flavor, shape and size
* Early fruiting provides organic opportunities
* Selected for mechanical harvesting
* High level of Antioxidants and Vitamin C
* Haskap cultivars released by the University of Saskatchewan require an unrelated cultivar to produce fruit